Friday, April 25, 2014

The Wahls Protocol

I've read about nutrition and health for most of my life now.  I was very excited to hear about Dr. Terry Wahls book about overcoming autoimmune disease (MS mainly, though this protocol would cure most conditions including Hypothyroidism and Depression & Anxiety).  I'm currently reading it and she strongly suggests journaling.  Specific questions:

1. How do you feel today?
     Extremely weak and fatigued, upset stomach, anxiety, depression, headache, sinus pressure, itchy eyes.        Yeah, just peachy.
2. What did you do just for yourself today?
      Bought stuff for smoothies including safe (non-goitrogenic) greens and seaweed, took the day off from           work due to extreme fatigue.
3. What did you eat today?  How did it make you feel?
      I had the usual black coffee and my meds for breakfast, niacin powder, lots of smoothie, too many               Quest Bars (because they're so YUMMY and I know they have got to go while I'm on this protocol.             So what better way to dispose of them?  Feeling horrible.
4. Did you exercise today?
      No.  I planned to but was cleaning my oven and the house got smoked up, and I was way too worn out         anyway.
5. For whom are you grateful?  What matters most in your life?
      My kids, Hayley and Skip, are the most important people in my life.  I'm grateful for them, my Dad, Matt       and his girls, my friends, my job.  What matters to me individually is being able to exercise and furthering       my education in order to help others get well through nutrition and exercise.
6. Do you have a higher purpose or driving force in your life?
      My mission in life is to cure my autoimmune disorder so that I may function and live to my               highest potential and pass that along by helping others to do the same.
7.  I have been treated with conventional medicine for 20 years now and I'd have to say there has to be a           better way.
8. The first time I had symptoms were while I was pregnant with my son, Skip.  During the pregnancy I gained 80 lbs and was exhausted all the time.  After the pregnancy, it got worse and I had all I could do to take care of him when all I wanted to do was sleep.  My doctor kept telling me it was allergies, and when I lamented about not being able to lose weight, he said "Yeah, our metabolism slows down as we age."  I was 28!!!!  I bought the book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" and diagnosed myself as hypothyroid.  I needed the blood test from the doctor in order to have a prescription for the medication.  Reluctantly, he gave me the blood test and came in to tell me the results with his head hanging.  I was VERY hypothyroid and needed a high dose of medication to treat it!  Over the first years, I researched the best medication because my symptoms weren't clearing up and had to fight to be put on Armour Thyroid, but won that battle.  I've never trusted my health to a doctor since!
9. The symptoms most troublesome to me today are my extreme fatigue and depression/anxiety.  Brain fog sucks too.
10. I do blame myself for things.  Like, the first time I heard about a diet that could cure my symptoms was probably 18 or 19 years ago and I NEVER did it!!  I could be healthy by now!
11. My stress level has been super high all week, with my Dad in the hospital and having an adult son with Aspergers who I'm trying to keep employed despite his state-funded transportation making him late for work!!
12. I could start this protocol TOMORROW and exercise to make tomorrow a better day!

There, Dr. Wahls, that's the start of my journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment