Saturday, March 15, 2014

Recently my Dad lost the hearing in his left ear.  He didn't just lose it as in everything went silent, it went and was replaced by a high-pitched constant squealing noise that keeps him from being able to sleep.  As a result, he's distracted and depressed and not like himself at all. As he's now in his 70's, I guess this sort of thing is to be expected except this is the first sign I've had that he "is his age".

My Dad is a Lobsterman and has been all of his life.  He's active, fit, youthful and has a "shithead" sense of humor.  I've always been able to count on him.  Even now with everything he has going on, he opens his wallet and says "Need any money?" after we've had dinner together.  For me, I am most proud when I can say "No Dad, I'm all set" instead of taking advantage of this wonderfully kind Daddy that I have.

So today a friend and I are going to visit him.  He doesn't stay at his own house (the one I grew up in) but prefers to stay at his girlfriend's house.  My friend and I would usually look at this as a chance to get away by ourselves, but right now I'm fairly distracted by wanting to cheer up my Dad.  My friend is also a Lobsterman and pretty witty so wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment